$14.18 Per Hour
Free access to all 4 of the City of St. George Golf Courses, the Recreation Center, the City Pool and the Aquatic Center upon successful completion of 3-months of employment.
Click here for more information
Under direction of the Animal Services Supervisor, performs animal care tasks and technical services relating to the maintenance, and upkeep of the shelter. Provides for the health, welfare, care and wellbeing of all the animals at the shelter and maintains a clean and disease-free facility for all impounded or owner released animals.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Monitors and logs animal activity in the adoption facility. Assesses animal health for any signs of illness. Observes animal behavior during exercise and play time. Ensures welfare and proper care of animals within the facility is maintained at all times.
2. Performs animal intake from public drop offs and animal returns. Enters the animal information into the system through Animal Shelter Manager (ASM). Assesses animals and vaccinates healthy animals as preventative measures. Prepares a kennel with water, bedding, and enrichment toys.
3. Facilitates the adoption process by answering questions and checking for desired cat or dog breeds. Allows citizens to connect with pet/s before adoption and is a resource to them. Searches for lost pets within the shelter and locates pet owners through all available research avenues.
4. Cleans and maintains kennels and all shelter areas daily. This will be done in accordance with cleaning protocols, and proper disease control requirements.
5. Feeds, waters, and provides continuous care for impounded animals.
6. Performs routine maintenance and groundskeeping duties at the animal shelter facility, and surrounding area.
7. Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in the Department and City’s attendance policy and procedures; ensures all behaviors comply with the City’s Personnel Rules and Regulations.
8. Prepares terminally ill or aggressive animals for transport to the Veterinarian for humane euthanasia.
9. Assists in public education for animal control problems and other related information.
10. Performs other duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Primarily works indoors/outdoors in all kinds of weather and conditions. Must be able to tolerate extreme heat. Moderately heavy physical activity. Required to push, pull, or lift medium weights (50-100 pounds). Moderate exposure to disagreeable elements such as strong odors, animal carcasses, animal feces, cold, heat, dampness, fumes, noise, dust, and grease. Exposure to health and occupational hazards. Intermittent exposure to stressful situations as a result of dealing with the public and/or unfriendly animals.
Note: All applicants are subject to a police records check.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Will train, no animal control experience is necessary. Must have a work history that demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Must possess a valid driver's license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Animal Behavior and skill in animal handling desired but not required.
• Computers and report writing.
• Strong interpersonal communications.
• Comfortably working with all kinds of animals, including sick, diseased, and aggressive animals.
• Communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
• Effectively communicate with citizens, including the ability to provide information using excellent customer service practices.
• Exercise good judgement and make sound decisions.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.