$16.85 Per Hour
Free access to all 4 of the City of St. George Golf Courses, the Recreation Center, the City Pool and the Aquatic Center upon successful completion of 3-months of employment.
Click here for more information
Under direction of the Animal Control Supervisor, enforces City of St. George ordinances regarding control of animals by apprehending stray, diseased, unlicensed, or annoying dogs, cats, or other animals. Routine ordinance enforcement work involving extensive public contact.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Operates department vehicles; patrols general and assigned areas; and picks up and/or impounds vicious, injured, dead, problem, and stray animals from public and private property.
2. Contacts owners of animals and informs them of their responsibilities. Collects fees and issues licenses if necessary.
3. Handles collection of dead animals in the City.
4. Responds to complaints; determines presence of violations; gives warnings, issues citations, and informs violators, etc. of codes; may testify in court; types and submits reports; maintains records; issues licenses; and receives and receipts monies.
5. Insures all complaints are given thorough attention and detects and monitors problem areas.
6. Issues citations to animal owners in accordance with City ordinances and regulations.
7. Maintains City shelter in clean condition, furnishes water and food for animals, and maintains grounds and surrounding area.
8. Provides for disposition of animals by return to owner, sale, or release to animal services organizations.
9. Properly administers tranquilizers to animals for live capture.
10. Investigates animal bite complaints of suspected rabies.
11. Responsible for the packaging and shipment of animal parts to the medical lab for testing of rabies and other diseases as required.
12. Responsible for proper care and maintenance of vehicles.
13. Assists in public education for animal control problems and laws.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Primarily works outdoors in all kinds of weather and conditions. Must be able to tolerate extreme heat.
Moderately heavy physical activity. Required to push, pull, or lift medium weights (50 - 100 pounds).
Moderate exposure to disagreeable elements such as strong odors, animal carcasses, animal feces, cold, heat,
dampness, fumes, noise, dust, and grease. Exposure to health and occupational hazards. Intermittent
exposure to stressful situations as a result of dealing with the public and/or unfriendly animals. Must be able
to work a schedule that will include some Saturdays and Sundays.
Note: All applicants are subject to a police records check.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Will train, no animal control experience is necessary. Must have a work history that
demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be
obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Animal behavior and skill in animal handling desired but not required.
• Computers and report writing.
• Comfortably working with all kinds of animals, including sick, diseased, and rabid animals.
• Communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
• Effectively communicate with citizens, including the ability to elicit information from upset and irate
• Exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.